Cake Mascara

7:38 PM

My obsession with Cake Mascara!

My obsession with cake mascara began when I started building my kit. I always look for that mascara that's going to define, volumize and darken my lashes for a natural look without clumps. After researching what other Makeup Artists use, I stumbled upon cake mascara. Honestly, I had no clue what it was... did it smell like cake? No no, that's not the cake I'm talking about! 

Before the invention of tube mascara, women in the early 1900's wore cake mascara which back in the day was composed of ash or lampblack and elderberry juice. Cake mascara was "the" mascara that Marilyn Monroe used herself.  

So what's in this tiny box your asking? It is an early 1950's cake mascara by Maybelline. It's crazy to think that this exact product has been used since 1917! Wow, guess Maybelline has been around longer than I thought. 

These days cake mascara isn't very easy to find, trust me even the cosmetic stores online are out of stock on most cake mascaras. I found the Maybelline cake mascara at random for sale, obviously it's still new and totally vintage and unlike anything I had in my makeup collection, so I got this for the joy of looking at it and hopefully 100 years from now someone else can enjoy the beauty of owning such a cute little pice of makeup history. 

Maybelline Cake Mascara
Maybelline's cake mascara includes an instruction paper along with a toothbrush-like application brush. Honestly this piece just tickles me every time I see it. Below you can see how small it is compared to my M.A.C 179 brush. It's smaller than a lighter or a pack of gum. 

Maybelline Cake Mascara next to M.A.C 179 brush
 Now, to the actual cake mascara that I currently use on myself and also my clients is LONGCILS BONCZA By Vitry cake mascara l'original in noir. I keep 1 in my personal makeup bag, 1 in my kit and an extra incase they sell out.  
LONGCILS Cake Mascara in Noir
 The LONGCILS mascara comes packaged differently than the Maybelline but it's still a small compact compared to most compacts these days. The cake comes in a round shape and can come out to fit a refill which is pretty handy. It too comes with the same toothbrush-like applicator of which I find does a nice job at applying the product. The cake is a bit tricky to use at first but a couple of practice runs will leave you working it into a stunning feathery like lashes. 
LONGCILS Cake Mascara in Noir

Tips:
1. Don't use too much water or apply the water directly to the brush as it will thin the cake too much and it will become runny. 
2. After a couple of coats take a brow comb and comb through the lashes to ensure all lashes are separated and any remaining product that is there will be swept away. 
3. While this mascara holds very well even in hot climates, if you sweat or become very active I advise you to use a sealer to ensure a full day's wear.
Left eye has bare lashes / Right eye has LONGCILS Cake Mascara in Noir

As you can see above the left eye picture has my bare lashes and the right one has one coat of cake mascara. What I love about cake mascaras is the flexibility on application. I've never used a mascara that gave me so much control on how much and how I apply it and how much I can apply to achieve the right look I'm going for. From a light natural look to a full volumized lashes cake mascara has your back... not to mention it's TSA friendly. 

Because Cake Mascara's can be a bit hard to find here a some links on where you can purchase. I am NOT affiliated with any of these companies. 





Hope you've enjoyed. Feel free to comment, request and subscribe. 
Huge hugs!
Adel

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Wow this is really cool! The vintage Maybelline one, is the one I have seen before in my Grandma's closet.

    Couple things I am wondering.

    What is a sealer and which one would be good?

    How long does a cake mascara last?

    The link to the site for Kryolan doesn't work, it doesn't look like they carry it anymore, but they have "La Femme." Which is $8 and has good reviews, have you ever tried it? Spmeone=

    Ok, last question! How do the refills for Longcils work? I have only seen that product on Amazon and haven't seen anything about refills yet

    I love the fact that this is making a comeback. To be honest I could never figure out the purpose of a eyelash comb and I have more than one person tell me that solid mascara does not exist and I must have been imagining things. I was a little kid when I found it at my grandmas house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right. cake mascara is almost impossible to find. I am searching everywhere. even the ones you mention have been discontinued

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.etsy.com/listing/243514546/luxe-cake-mascara-with-applicator-brush?ref=related- HAVE YOU SEEN THIS NEW CAKE MASCARA BY DIRTY GIRL COSMETICS THEY HAVE IT IN BROWN AND BLACK LOOKS GOOD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your approach on the topic. Your article is as interesting as your previous writings. Keep up the good work, thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Brandbacker

Bloglog